Sydney remains a hotspot for diamond shoppers looking for the best deals.
Buying a diamond is always a special occasion. And when it comes to buying a lab-grown diamond in Sydney, it's an even more personal experience.
Whether you're buying a diamond for yourself, a loved one, or as an investment, several important factors exist. We've put together this guide to make the process easier for you. Keep reading to learn more about buying a lab-grown diamond in Sydney.
What is a Lab-Grown Diamond?
Lab-grown diamonds are created in a lab environment—by replicating the conditions under which natural diamonds form in the earth.
Also known as synthetic diamonds, they have the same chemical and physical properties as mined diamonds. However, lab-grown diamonds are less likely to have impurities because they are created in a controlled environment.
All lab-grown diamonds are 100% authentic and certified. The grading and certification process is the same for mined and lab-grown diamonds. So, when you're shopping for a lab-grown diamond, you can remain confident in the quality and authenticity of your purchase.
Where to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds in Sydney
Sydney offers a range of reputable dealers for lab-grown diamonds.
You'll find most jewellery shops around Hyde Park. The area has a range of jewellers, from luxury to casual retailers.
If you're shopping for lab-grown diamonds in Sydney, here are some jewellers to check out.
Regardless of where you are in Sydney, you'll be able to find a dealer that can cater to your needs.
Tips for Choosing the Right Lab-Grown Diamond in Sydney
When shopping for lab-grown diamonds in Sydney, you'll want to keep the Four Cs in mind: Colour, Cut, Clarity and Carat.
- In terms of colour, it indicates the whiteness of a diamond and the absence of colour. Pure white diamonds are often more desirable and popular. However, coloured diamonds are also sought after, especially the ones with a slight shade of brown or yellow.
- The cut is crucial to look out for when choosing your lab-grown diamond. The diamond’s cut often determines how the diamond will reflect or dispel light. Ensure the diamond’s cut is symmetrical and well-proportioned—to maximise its brilliance.
- Clarity refers to the diamond's purity, which is determined by how many blemishes or inclusions the diamond has. The fewer blemishes in a diamond, the sharper its clarity and brilliance.
- Lastly, the carat weight will indicate how large your diamond is. Although, remember that this doesn't necessarily equal value.
As with mined diamonds, the quality of a lab-grown diamond is determined by its Four Cs. They all play a part in the value of your diamond. So when looking for your perfect lab-grown diamond in Sydney, keep these points in mind.
Common Mistakes When Buying Lab-Grown Diamonds in Sydney
When buying lab-grown diamonds in Sydney, avoid some of these mistakes.
1. Not Researching the Seller
Before buying diamonds from any dealer in Sydney, ensure they are certified by a reputable jewellery association.
This is especially important when buying diamonds online or even in person. Make sure the seller also has a good track record and offers returns. Do not buy from random jewellers without a quality track record or history.
2. Buying Without Collecting a Diamond Certificate
This is a popular mistake made by people new to diamonds. All lab-grown diamonds are also certified and graded by recognised institutions like GIA, IGI and GCAL. The essence of the diamond certificate is to guarantee the diamond's quality.
Reputable dealers will always provide certification for whichever lab-grown diamond you're considering. If a jeweller tries to sell you a lab-grown diamond without the corresponding certificate, run. Always demand a certificate.
3. Not Checking the 4C's
Cut, Clarity, Carat and Color are the 4C's that determine the price and value of a lab-grown diamond in Sydney (and anywhere else).
Don't make the mistake of buying a diamond randomly. If you're clueless about diamonds or new to purchasing one, ensure you go with a professional to help you evaluate the 4C's of the diamond. This will help you identify the most valuable diamonds out of the pack.
Caring for Your Lab-Grown Diamond
Once you've found and purchased the perfect lab-grown diamond in Sydney, it's essential to care for it. Lab-grown diamonds require the same cleaning, maintenance and protection as mined diamonds.
- To ensure your lab-grown diamond always looks its best, have it checked periodically by a professional jeweller, even if you haven't noticed any damage or dullness in the stone's appearance.
- To give your diamond the best possible protection from scratches and other damage, store it away from other gems and metals when not in use.
- Additionally, always keep your lab-grown diamond away from harsh chemicals like bleach and detergents that can damage its surface or permanently dull its brilliance.
Protect Your Diamonds With Specialised Jewellery Insurance
After buying your lab-grown diamond in Sydney, the last thing you want to do is leave it unprotected. Getting specialised jewellery insurance for your diamond is crucial.
Here are some things to look out for when purchasing jewellery insurance:
- Understand the coverage limits, policy cost and the type of stone covered.
- Check if the insurance covers loss from theft or damage caused by an insured peril (such as fire or water).
- Check if you're listed as the insured on the policy.
Knowing these things can help ensure your diamond is properly protected.
JewelCover has decades of unrivalled experience in jewellery insurance. JewelCover offers specialised jewellery insurance to help protect your jewellery should unplanned events like damage, theft or loss occur.
So, what should you remember when buying lab-grown diamonds in Sydney?
First, do your research. There are several ways to tell if a diamond is lab-grown, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and get a certificate of authenticity. Second, don't be afraid to shop around. There are many jewellery shops that sell lab-grown diamonds in Sydney.
Finally, remember to protect your diamond with specialised jewellery insurance. This is the most reliable way to protect your ring against unforeseen circumstances.