The engagement ring is a time-honoured tradition that has been a part of weddings for centuries. But what about men? Should they be wearing engagement rings, too?
It depends on different factors, including personal preference, culture and budget. This blog post will explore all you need to know about men’s engagement rings. Come along.
A Brief History of Engagement Rings
The first recorded instance of an engagement ring was in 1477 when Archduke Maximilian of Austria presented Mary of Burgandy with a diamond ring.
This set a precedent for European nobility and upper-class men to give their fiancées an engagement ring.
However, in more recent years, men are starting to wear engagement rings to symbolise their commitment and love to their partners. Men's engagement rings became more popular in the 1940s, when celebrity Humphrey Bogart began wearing one.
And not long after, in the early 2000s, a jeweller from Great Britain created male rings made of titanium and marketed them as a man’s engagement ring.
Are Engagement Rings Necessary For Men?
Men have been wearing engagement rings for a while now. Let's take a look at some reasons why you may choose to wear an engagement ring as a man.
- It shows you’re taken
In today’s dating world, it can be hard to know who’s single or not. An engagement ring communicates that you’re off the dating market. It’s also a public declaration of your loyalty to your spouse, especially if you’re not interested in being hit on constantly.
- It can be a conversation starter
An unusual engagement ring can spark different conversations with strangers—which can be great if you enjoy meeting new people. You never know, you might even make some new friends this way!
- It’s a symbol of your love and commitment
An engagement ring serves as a symbol of commitment, which can be helpful on days when things are tough in your relationship. Wearing it will always remind you how much you love and appreciate your partner.
Types of Engagement Rings For Men
There are different types of men’s engagement rings on the market today, and it’s essential to do some research before making a purchase.
- Traditional band: The most popular type of engagement ring for men is the traditional band. This style of ring typically features a simple metal band with no embellishments. It can be made from any type of metal, but the most popular choices are often gold or silver. A traditional band is a popular choice because it is classic and timeless.
- The solitaire ring: This ring style usually features a single diamond set in the centre of the band. The solitaire ring is a more modern take on the traditional engagement ring and is becoming increasingly popular among couples looking for something different.
- Alternative metal ring: If you are looking for something unique, you could consider an alternative metal engagement ring. There are several alternative metals to choose from, including titanium, platinum, tungsten and even stainless steel. These metals offer a unique look that sets your engagement ring from the rest.
No matter the type of engagement ring you plan to settle for, let it be a reflection of your relationship and personal style.
How to Choose an Engagement Ring
Before choosing an engagement ring for your guy, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Consider his personal style. What kind of jewellery does he usually wear? If he's not a fan of wearing jewellery, a simple band may be the best option.
- Think about his lifestyle. Is he active and outdoorsy? If so, you'll want to choose a ring that can withstand wear and tear.
- Consider your budget. How much can you afford to spend on an engagement ring? However, don't be afraid to splurge if you can afford it.
- Choose a ring that has meaning to both of you. Perhaps, select a family heirloom or a stone significant to your relationship.
Protect Your Engagement Ring With Specialised Jewellery Insurance
When you get engaged, you're making a lifelong commitment to your partner.
So if you're getting ready to pop the question, make sure you're prepared for everything that comes with it— including getting insured. It's the best way to protect the symbol of your love.
Engagement ring insurance will protect your ring from loss, damage or theft. Remember, your home insurance policy won't always cover your engagement ring. Most home insurance policies have limited coverage for jewellery. So if something ever happens to your ring, you could be on the hook for the full cost of repairs or replacement.
Why Do Men Wear Engagement Rings?
The tradition of men wearing engagement rings started around the 1940s. However, today, men wear engagement rings to symbolise their commitment to their relationship.
Do Women Prefer Their Men to Wear An Engagement Ring?
Many women feel a sense of sharing and equality when their male partners wear an engagement ring. This way, women are not just the only ones “off the market,” their men are, too. The same goes for same-sex partners.
What Are the Cons of Men Wearing Engagement Rings?
Engagement rings can be bulky and uncomfortable to wear, especially if you’re not used to wearing jewellery regularly.
Plus, if you work with machinery or participate in manual labour, it can be quite dangerous to wear an engagement ring. It can easily snag on clothes and other materials. In these situations, it’s best to take it off and put it in a safe place until you’re done.
The debate on whether men should wear engagement rings or not has been around for years. While some people feel it’s an outdated tradition and an unnecessary expense, others see it as a sign of commitment and love.
Ultimately, the decision to wear (or not wear) an engagement ring is a personal one. However, if you’re getting engagement rings, don’t forget to protect your ring with comprehensive standalone jewellery insurance. Contact us to get started.