Travelling is an exciting opportunity to explore the world and soak in new experiences. But, sometimes travelling can also be stressful. You worry about how to pack, getting sick on the plane, or not understanding the language. One of your biggest concerns might be how to protect your jewellery overseas. Here are some tips for travellers who want to keep their jewellery safe during their travels.
Packing tips for travelling with jewellery
When it comes to packing jewellery safely, there are a few things to think about. For example, it can be difficult to pack your delicate necklaces or bracelets without them getting tangled or broken, and you might choose to leave more expensive items out of your checked baggage entirely.
Here are some great packing tips for jewellery:
1. Bring a jewellery roll or a soft pouch to keep your items safe during transit.
2. Wrap each item with a piece of tissue paper before packing them in a jewellery roll or soft pouch.
3. Put larger necklaces or bracelets in the centre of the roll, and smaller pieces on the outside.
4. Wrap each piece with a lightweight material, like tissue paper, before placing it in the roll.
5. Wrap your most expensive pieces in a second layer of material, for extra protection.
6. Wrap the jewellery roll in a pillowcase or scarf to protect it from being crushed or damaged during transit.
7. Keep expensive jewellery items, like your engagement ring, securely with you in your carry on bags.
Keeping your jewellery safe overseas
A common approach to making sure your jewellery is safe when travelling is to wear it. That way, you can keep an ever-present eye on it, without worrying about it being mishandled back at the hotel. Alternatively, many travellers choose to take advantage of the safes in their hotel rooms to lock their valuables away securely.
The best approach is always to follow your gut and use common sense. For example, if you're visiting a country with known occurrences of petty crimes and pickpocketing, flashing around a large engagement ring on your finger while perusing the markets could make you an easy target for thieves. Anti-theft travel packs that you wear under your clothes could be an option for concealing your jewellery in higher-risk locations, if a hotel safe isn't an option.
What to do if your luggage is lost
Losing your luggage can be a stressful and frustrating experience at the best of times. If it contained some of your valuable jewellery, it can be truly upsetting. However, there are simple ways to minimise the risk of losing your luggage and your jewellery:
- Protect your checked baggage with a TSA-approved travel lock to prevent theft at the airport.
- Consider a luggage tracking device to give you a live location feed of your bags.
- Mark your bags with bright straps or identifiers to avoid accidental collection at the carousel.
- Minimise unnecessary connecting flights to reduce risk of airport mishandling.
If you do lose your luggage, remember to:
- Contact the airline immediately, or alert your hotel.
- Lodge a local police report if you believe it has been stolen while at your destination.
- Alert your travel insurer or jewellery insurer, like JewelCover.
Should you get jewellery insurance?
Jewellery insurance is a good idea if you’re travelling with expensive, sentimental, or luxury items. It’s often cheaper than it may seem and can be a lifesaver if the unexpected happens to your treasured items.
Better yet, jewellery insurance gives you the peace of mind you need to truly enjoy your jewellery while overseas and reduce the stress and anxiety of taking your beloved pieces with you on your travels.
Further, having an existing jewellery insurance policy that covers you for loss, damage and theft while you travel can let you avoid having to add expensive extra cover to your travel insurance policy.
With JewelCover, you're protected if anything unexpected happens to your jewellery overseas. And if disaster strikes, you know you'll be supported by our team every step of the way. If your jewellery needs to be replaced or repaired when you get home, you can return to your chosen jeweller.
The bottom line
Now that you’ve learned all about how to protect your jewellery overseas, you can be confident in your packing and enjoy your trip without worrying too much about your precious jewellery.
To see how little it can cost to protect your jewellery with a JewelCover policy while travelling overseas, get an instant quote here.